Recently I had the privilege and opportunity of sitting down with co-founder Kyle of Wealthy Affiliate and asking him some serious questions about his resource. The following 10 Q/A’s are the result. I hope you enjoy reading the answers as much as I did asking them.
1. Where did you start your marketing career and how has it progressed since the beginning?
I started online back in 2002 while full time in college. Back then, Yahoo was the popular search term and I started within the PPC world for Yahoo within a variety of different niches and had a nominal budget of $5 per day when starting out.
2. What compelled you to start WA?
Carson and I started Wealthy Affiliate out of the sheer need for some proper training on how to build a business online.
Our experience within the PPC world was extensive when we started Wealthy Affiliate back in 2005 and we believed we could translate what we knew within this world and help people build successful businesses online.
WA actually started off as a “keyword list” service and as time has gone on, we have obviously evolved into something much more.
3. Was WA your first attempt to accomplish your goal or did you experience setbacks along the way?
There are always going to be set backs in business, we have experienced many over the years and to this day, there are set backs that continually pop up.
We are perfectionists and we always know that something can be better, more efficient, or easier to understand. That is what drives us and that is why we are so proactive when it comes to innovation and evolution of the platform at WA.
4. Tell your story as it relates to question #2.
Story is in number 2.
5. What one thing still “drives you buggy” about WA and what steps are you taking to resolve this issue.
There are lots of things that drive us buggy. There is always room to grow and get better and that is what drives us and it is impossible to achieve perfection doing anything, but the ultimate goal of that happening is what drives us.
There is always something that can be “better”, in fact, everything can. If you look at any successful business you will see that they have pushed an industry forward in a positive direction and innovated within that industry drastically. That continues to be our goal.
6. Which part of WA far exceeds even your own expectations and why?
We expect a lot out of ourselves, so nothing really exceeds our expectations. If I was to say one thing though, it is the natural positive and helpful human nature of folks if you give them a medium to do so.
With so much negativity online and so many forums that are built off of “flame wars” it is beautiful to see people naturally helping one another and truly paying it forward.
The world needs more of that.
7. What is your goal for WA in 2017?
To continually get better. To innovate. To improve designs. And to roll out some platforms that aren’t offered anywhere else and do so in a way that makes your life easier to create, manage and grow a business online. We are going to do this.
8. What was your goal for WA in 2016 and was it achieved?
We always set very loft goals in terms of projects, but we don’t always achieve them. We are willing to switch gears if we need to and that will phase in new projects and put others aside.
We definitely made leaps and bounds of progress in 2016 and the reaction of members is how we determine our achievement (which has been positive).
9. Where do you think, WA will be 5 years from now? The good and the bad.
I don’t think that far ahead, you simply can’t think that far ahead in the online business world as it will leave you with a much more rigid idea of where you are headed. The reality is always different than what you “expect” so that is why we tend to focus just on the year ahead.
10. What else do you believe people need to know about WA, which they might not even as an active member.
Wealthy Affiliate was built off of helping people and EVERY decision we make in terms of development is based on this idea. That is why I love Wealthy Affiliate and the power it provides for people wanting to learn the in’s and out’s of online marketing.
Simply put, we have stayed true to these principles to this day. We truly care about you, something that I think is really hard to find in this industry these days.
Latest posts by Guy Siverson (see all)
- 5 Great Articles About Online Marketing for Startups - March 3, 2017
- 3 Easy Ways to Cut Adwords Expenses that are Often Ignored - March 2, 2017
- 3 Hot Info Video Marketing Strategies Delivering Promise - March 2, 2017
- 5 Super Simple Ways to Explode Twitter Marketing Results - February 23, 2017
- Should Online Marketers Build eMail Lists or Social Media - February 21, 2017